Thursday, September 23, 2010

Post Chi-Town Observations

A couple weeks back the staff attended the Christian Community Development Association (CCDA) conference.  Every year a new city hosts the 3-4 day event and this year Chicago was the location.  This was my third time to attend the CCDA conference and it was much different than the first two.  


The conference's mission is 'to inspire, train, and connect Christians who seek to bear witness to the Kingdom of God by reclaiming and restoring under-resourced communities.'  In other words, they have classes, workshops, speakers and on-site ministry experiences that each of us are exposed to in order to encourage new ideas, build up and strengthen existing ministries, present examples and further utilize the blessings of "stuff" that we have in a manner that is pleasing to God.


This years conference differed from previous years, in that, the majority of the classes and workshops weren't all within the 4 walls of the hotel.  Most of the classes were throughout the city of Chicago at different ministries, churches and parachurches. Because most of the classes were spread out all over Chicago if gave us each opportunities to experience the business and 'big city life' of a city that is much different than Oklahoma City, Dallas or any other larger city in the south that I have lived in or visited.  


Here are my observations of Chicago and what I walked away dreaming about for Cross and Crown/Rock Island...


1.  Chicago is very diverse.  If you know me you know that I grew up in an all white community.  In high school I went to an all white school and had all white friends, with the exception of a few (what up Lays and Mike if you ever read this!).  But, growing up my brother and I played a sport that is predominantly saturated with African-American players.  In high school we each had two black teammates and so we thought our team was 'diverse'.  Several years later once we were in college playing basketball something incredible happened...my brother and I became the minority!  10 black guys, 4 white guys and 3 hispanics!?!?!  We were such world changers! - Wrong.


       My time in Chicago helped me add to my ever evolving idea of what it means to be diverse.  I used to think having a black or hispanic kid at school meant we were a 'multi-cultural' school.  No.  Then, I thought once I was the minority in a specific setting I had truely arrived at understanding and being accepting of other races.  Still no. Even working everyday in an urban setting that has each and every race and color I still haven't come to really understand what it means to be "racism free".  I still have my undeserving generalizations.  


       Walking Chicago's streets made me picture heaven.  It wasn't because of the cleanliness, the golden slated streets and definitely not the smell.  It was because all the people walking the streets were so different.  You know the song, "Red and yellow, black and white...they are precious...", you know it.  It made me think of what heaven will be like when people from every tribe, language and nation will bow to the name that is above every name and confess “Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.”


2.  We, meaning the Cross and Crown staff, need to do a better job of giving volunteers more ownership of the things that occur on a day to day basis at Cross and Crown and Rock Island.    Lots, probably most, of the 'ministries' that Cross and Crown has to offer the neighborhood are each set up in a way that a minimal, consistent commitment would be sufficient.  The same goes for Rock Island.  


       In the past I have always allowed the volunteer to determine their own level of ownership in what goes on at Cross and Crown or Rock Island.  My personal thought process is that if someone wants to get involved... they will.  I don't need to force anything on them and, honestly, I don't want to force anything on someone because the potential of them not following through is very likely.  Especially with the kids that come to Rock Island, the last thing they need is another person to show up for a few days/weeks and then disappear never to show up again.  


       With this being said, I still haven't figured out the perfect balance of not forcing something on someone but also allowing someone the freedom and opportunity to have personal ownership in the daily, weekly and yearly happenings that God has allowed us to be apart of at Cross and Crown.  


3.  I want a gym.  Shocking, right?  We've been talking about it for couple years now but after visiting a local neighborhood ministry in Chicago I really have the bug.  They have a basketball gym, a fitness/workout facility and a medical clinic all in one.  But, I mean, I'm agreeable.  I would be happy with just the basketball gym and some extra space to put some of our current fitness equipment in.  


       Just think....we could have youth basketball teams with coaches and players from the neighborhood, as well as, teams from outside the neighborhood to help support the financial needs of maintaining the gym.  Have people that are into arts and dancing teaching kids from the neighborhood.  Have practices, fitness classes.....sheeeeesh.  You get the idea.  If it's in Gods' plan, it will happen.  (I just hope that it is and that it is within the near future.)


       So, there are a few of the top ideas/thoughts I walked away with this year at CCDA.  I realize that my first point was more of just a self-realization but if the second point I made interests you and you want to get more plugged in and have some of that 'ownership' I was talking about; let me know.


       Or, if my third point/idea interests you and you want to build us a gym that would be cool too. No biggie :)


lwhitmire1@gmail.com


Oh, I figured I would throw this picture in of myself, pops, bro and bro-in-law fishing a couple weeks back in Colorado.  I realize it has nothing to do with my blog post but I always enjoy reading people's blogs that have pics.  I figured everyone else would too....maybe not.










       

No comments:

Post a Comment