Tuesday, November 13, 2007

update on "Matt"

Over the last month or so I hadn't seen much of Matt. In the back of my mind I kinda assumed that he had fallen off the deep end and was just doing the best he could to avoid us seeing him around. That's how it works with many of the men and women we have been in relationship with in the past that have struggled with some type of addiction or sinful lifestyle. Because of this over the years we have been in and out of relationship with alot of people. I guess that's just human mentality that comes into play when some sin or some harmful behavior that you just can't shake keeps getting the best of you; you don't want to be around others who you think don't struggle with similar things, they might think less of you. Or in alot of cases people wont come back around because they themselves don't feel worthy or what they have done is just too heavy for others to handle.

With this being said, I have seen Matt four times of the last 2 weeks or so. Most recently this past Sunday and yesterday, Monday. The first time I saw Matt was around 2 weeks ago and he looked really good. Physically he looked much different. He had on a nice pair of jeans, a decent looking shirt and a new pair of work boats. His hair was freshly cut (still very long) and he smelled like he had bathed recently (don't get me wrong, I wasn't sniffing all up on him). To summarize, he looked like something was very different. Something was different. Matt had taken a job opportunity in Edmond and was working full time. Matt had/has several ties in the neighborhood and so I was kinda suspicious as to why he was back in the 'hood, when it seemed like he had everything going for him. He told me he was there just to wrap some things up (probably some good and some bad). After talking for only a few minutes (it was a Thursday night so we had 30-40 kids at Rock Island) I told Matt that I was happy for him and that I was happy to see him but really I would be alright if I didn't see him anytime soon. I explained to him that I loved the friendship that we have but in all honesty I would be ok if I never saw him again because that would mean that he was out of the neighborhood, working and back on his feet. As hardcore and street as Matt is and as big as bad.....butt as everyone knows that he is, Matt began to tear up as he thanked me for all the help and advice.

This past Sunday at our evening meal and worship Matt showed up a little late but was still able to grab something to eat. Again, I was surprised to see him and was a little disappointed/upset that he was back in the neighborhood. He didn't look like he did the last time I saw him. He looked like the rougher, street, "im going to pound your face in if you say something I don't like" Matt that I was more familiar with. Like always, I wasn't able to sit down and have a long drawn out talk with Matt but I talked to him long enough to know that he wasn't working in Edmond anymore and he was back in the neighborhood. He told me that something big was going down tomorrow (Monday) and he didn't know yet if it was good or bad. I had no idea what he was talking about doing. He told me he would come by tomorrow and let me know what happened. Yikes. I was just hoping he wouldn't come back the next day and be like, "Luke, I successfully terminated the person that I had a meeting with today." I really had no idea what to expect the next day.

I'm really not doing this on purpose, but its 2:15 and we are starting to get kids for our after school hangout so I will have to finish the rest of my update at a later date.

1 comment:

  1. Are you freaking kidding me?!?! How can you end it like that? You better finish this story pretty soon or you're gonna meet "bad...butt" Su!

    And blessings in Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete