Thursday, November 22, 2007

breaking bread

This past Sunday at our evening worship I was able to take communion with Matt. Paul, who generally gives a thought or talks about a scripture, asked several weeks back that we invite someone each week to take communion with each time we meet. It's a really cool thing to see small children take communion with their mom or dad, a neighborhood kid take communion with a homeless man from the streets or a married couple reflect on the life and sacrifice of Christ.

Matt usually sits towards the back. This night he was in the back on one knee for most of the service. I made eye contact with him and motioned towards the communion area. I prayed a short prayer of thanks and Matt followed it up with a pretty passionate request of forgiveness, thanks for provision and the church (Cross and Crown). Needless to say, it was a pretty awesome experience.

5 comments:

  1. Relationships are the ones that survive the "un-thought-of" revelations. Have you shown Matt your blog? Has he read the things you've written about him? How much do you really want to know about him? It's the dark corners that things tend to scurry into when the light shines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, is that first line from your comment out of a fortune cookie or what?

    But your right, the fact that I have never asked for his consent to write about him (kinda like you never asked me) and the fact that he doesn't know I have written about him seems somewhat shady. That's why in a previous post I said I would refrain from giving such in depth insight into his lifestyle and whereabouts.

    And to answer your question, I want to know any and everything about Matt that he will make available to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assumptions are fun, aren't they? Nah, I make this stuff up as I go. Maybe I should get a job working for a fortune cookie company. Luke, the amount of respect I feel for you, Chandy and Ron, is difficult for me to express. Nothing I could ever write about you or to you is meant as criticism or condemnation. Having said that, my intent wasn't to question whether you had Matt's permission to write about him. It wasn't even to see if Matt would resent it. It was to see whether you had shown Matt what you had written about him. If your relationship survives that, not only do you no longer have that "un-thought-of" revelation between you, but Matt may actually be further down the path to salvation than even he knows. Personally, unless yer intent on writing about Matt was "shady", I don't think the action of or result of doing so comes out "shady" either. But neither of us is Matt. All of this is mighty assumptive on my part. (grin)

    Hey, this gives me a great idea for my next Blog post! I think I'll call it, What's in yer wallet? (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that even if I'm "right" about everything I'm saying, knowledge doesn't equal wisdom. I'm sure I also don't need to tell you that before you follow the "advice" of some guy on the internet, you'll talk to your mentor, pastor, God, somebody who's email address isn't the.spiritual.leper(grin) first. Yer in a ministry and yer one of them aliens. So I know you'll be wise. :)

    ReplyDelete