Monday, May 14, 2007

honduras, part II

Today is Monday. It is 11:00 am. Again, I just walked from Predisan to use the Internet. Meanwhile, the nursing students are doing much of the same as they did on Friday. According to the schedule it looks like this whole week will be much of the same for them. Most of their time from here on out will be spent working at the "Good Samaritan Clinic", which is the larger medical clinic of Predisan.

Today is really hot. It's depressing to think and know that my shower this morning was worthless after the first 10 minutes of being outside. I am starting to wonder what the point of showering really is, seriously. I can completely understand why many of the people here don't shower on a daily basis. Not to say that I am considering going long lengths of time without showering, but rather I no longer question why people here don't shower as often. It's kinda like brushing your teeth and then eating a full pack of oreo's without anything to drink. It's kinda like, why bother? I'm sure family will get a kick out of that comparison seeing as how up until the 4th or 5th grade I only brushed my teeth once a day, haha. Anyway, today is hot.

Saturday we spent most of our morning at the orphanage for the disabled children. Again, it was pretty powerful stuff. I think that it will end up being my best experience of this specific trip to Honduras. Jesus is all over that place. I can't help but think of a song that I have recently become obsessed with by Todd Agnew. It's called, "My Jesus". Towards the end of the song he says, "My Jesus would never be accepted at my church, the blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet." Powerful statement. Along with this statement I can't help but think that rather then be at church or large assemblies of people Jesus would be in places like this, being what God says he is, love. These kids are unbelievable. It's so weird how so many of them can't even talk or control all the bodily functions, move their arms, legs, or necks to turn and look at you. But if you get on their level and look them straight in the eyes you can truly see them trying to communicate with you. Again, I can't help but think that if Jesus walked the earth today, he would be in places like these.

Saturday afternoon we went to the closest thing to a Honduran country club that I have ever been to. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was getting it confused with Oak Tree or some other upscale facility, but it was nice. We ate lunch there and participated in some ropes course type things. It was alot of fun.

Sunday was a very relaxing day. Sunday morning we attended church with the two boys I mentioned in my previous blog, and their family to church. There was a special mothers day celebration, complemented by several performances by children, such as dancing, mimes and skits. They also named a "mother of the church", which was neat. Add all of this up and it was a 3 hour service, haha. Needless to say, The Iglesia de Cristo wasn't worried about beating the other nearby churches before the lunch-crowd hit. We ate pizza at the only place in Catacamas that has pizza, Texaco. I am not even kidding when I say this either, that is the best pizza I have ever had from a gas station. Not to say that it could battle Hide-Away, but it could go a few rounds with Pizza Hut and Lil Ceasars. We finished up the day riding around town with Doris, the founder, along with her husband, of Predisan, making "pastel"(cake) drop-offs for mothers day. It was a fun afternoon of meeting families and locals.

Hopefully today we will be able to visit the caves, a local attraction. I guess that's about it for now. I might be able to get in one more update before I make it back to the states on Thursday. Also, stay tuned for lots of pictures and maybe some videos if I can figure out how that works. Probably going to hit up Ron for help with that aspect. Until then, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment