Sunday, March 4, 2007

ask, seek, knock

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."
Matthew 7:7-8

Wow, how true these words really are.

I have worked at Cross and Crown the past 4 summers but have only been working full-time since August. During the time since August I have been confronted with a new responsibility/challenge. This challenge came in the form of collecting an appropriate amount of funds to support the plans that we (Ron, Chandy and myself) have for our youth (fyi, just for the record, each one of us do this). Some of these plans are taking place now, while others are to take place in the future (such as Spring Break and summer).

Like most, I am hesitant to ask for help. Honestly, who wants to ask for help? It's a tough situation. It's often uncomfortable, for both parties involved. To me, it almost seems rude. I mean, alot of times I need help in other areas of my personal life but I don't want to bother others with my problems. Everyone has enough going on as it is, right?

So, back to my new responsibility, fundraising. My unfaithful, humanly mind begins to think, "How can I get around actually having to ask people for help, but still raise the support?" Hmmmm...Interesting concept, Luke. Honestly, how ridiculous. Because of my own insecurity and desire to not "interrupt others lives" or "have myself or someone else feel uncomfortable", I am missing the point altogether. Rather than me trying to assume 100% of the responsibility and try to organize a flawless plan to raise support, why not let God work? I feel like alot of times when situations seem unrealistic or unreachable I put God up on a shelf. I act like it is just too much. It's almost like I'm scared to give it to God because what if things don't turn out like I wanted them to? Does that mean God failed? Do I really want to test God? Good grief, Luke.

Then comes in a little bit of faith. Doesn't God address a similar situation in Malachi chapter 3 when He says, "...Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not through open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough to store it..."(Malachi 3:10). So here's my answer, this is what I felt God was leading/telling me to do. "Present your needs to the people and watch me work". So I did. Without further rambling let me say this, each one of our kids that wants to go to camp, will go to camp.

Because of several individual donors, along with some small groups, each one of our kids now has been blessed with the chance to go to camp. Also, because there was such a large response/outpouring of donations we are going to be able to use a little bit of that money in order to fund some plans that we have for our kids during Spring Break. So, thank you to each one of our contributors who felt called to donate to the cause. Not to say that this will be the last time one of us has to raise some moolah for one reason or another; but this is to say that God has everything in control and all He wants is us to allow Him to work in our lives.

In closing, I know from past experience how it is easy to read or hear a story like the one I just told you and to be like, "Wow, that's really cool. God is working in such great ways". Don't get me wrong, I still am like that. But, what I don't want you to do is read this and think this, and that be it. I challenge you to do the same as I did. Ask God. Seek God. Knock at His door. See if He wont open the floodgates in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment