Monday, February 5, 2007

internet not cool...singing cool

Internet connection = 1
Luke = 0

Turns out the internet works on its' own clock here at the mission. Last night I was attempting to write a quick blog before our Sunday evening worship started but I wasn't going to finish it in time. No problem, I'll just click the "Save as Draft" icon on the bottom. I mean, that's why it's there right? Not happening. Twenty plus minutes of "blogging" down the tubes. Here's round two...

I have decided not write about Thursday night because chances are if you read my blog - you read Ron and Chandy's blogs. Instead, I just wanted to write about "Billy", again.

On Sunday nights we have a worship service from 6:00-7:00. Chandy and Ron, along with occasional guests, lead the worship and I generally hold-down the computer station, which projects the words to the songs on the overhead. Long story short, I maximize my Exercise Science degree by pushing up and down on the computer keyboard to alternate slides. Seeing as how it was Superbowl Sunday, we were running a little thin on our attendance. On the other hand, the youth were in full force with about 12-15 of them showing up for the nights festivities. One of which was "Billy". Yes, the same Billy that I wrote about in my previos blog. I can assure you that we do not play favorites here at Cross and Crown, but we can't help but sympathize with particular individuals. Which is my case with Billy.

For whatever reason, I have taken a special interest in Billy. I'm not really sure why. To be honest, Billy is often loud, obnoxious and frequently annoying. But, if you were to be around Billy, talk to Billy and try to somewhat understand where Billy is coming from I have a feeling it would be much easier to understand why I sympathize with Billy.

So there I am holding down the overly complex computer station and the Sunday worship service has been in going on for 20-25 minutes. Throughout the entire serice, thus far, Billy has been playing musical chairs, eating sugar packets (I'm not kidding) and coming back to my computer "area" with intentions of mocking me with hopes of generating a chuckle from me or anyone else paying attention. Time passes and Billy gets tired of switching chairs, eating sugar and humiliating me, which was surprising in itself. What is even more surprising is that Billy starts to sing. At this point, I am sitting down at a table with the computer and Billy is standing 3 feet away from me. Completely focused, unaware of anyone taking notice, Billy is desperately trying to keep up with the flow of the song. He is singing the song. This is probably one of those instances when "you just had to be there" to understand the significance of what happened. But, even if you can't hear his voice or see his face, just try to imagine a 13 year old boy singing the words, "I love You, All of my hope is in You, Jesus Christ take my life, Take all of me".

Billy hasn't accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. Really, if I were to ask or remind Billy about him singing last night he probably wouldn't remember or think anything of it. Sadly enough, Billy probably wasn't sincere about what he was singing. Why wasn't he sincere? Chances are that Billy doesn't really know who Jesus Christ REALLY is. That's why I want to be here. That's why Ron and Chandy want to be here. That's why Paul, Suzanne, Don, Martha, and all the countless others want to be here. We all want to be here so maybe over the course of time we might be able to fill Billy in on just who Jesus is. Who knows, maybe the next time he sings those words he will be sincere.

No comments:

Post a Comment